3.18.2010

Malevolent March: Day 18

For the month of March, I'm going to try something new for the blog, so every day I am going to spotlight a different villain from comic books, movies, TV, etc. It's mostly going to be my all-time favorite villains, with some crazy random ones thrown in there for good measure, so check back every day to see the newest villain in Malevolent March!


If you ever enjoyed the TV series Heroes, than you probably only really enjoyed the first season or the second season. The big reason for this? In my opinion it's because since then the best villain and arguably one of the best parts of the whole show started to get really overexposed and outright annoying at certain parts. But, today I want to honor the good parts of this villain, the man who is mostly known only as Sylar.


Sylar

Heroes

Background: Sylar was once just an ordinary watchmaker known as Gabriel Gray. He was just an ordinary guy that dreamed of becoming something extraordinary, something greater than he ever dreamed he could be. Chandra Suresh, a scientist who specialized in discovering people with genetic abilities and trying to help them, discovered Gabriel and started to work with him thinking that Gabriel had these special abilities. But when Dr. Suresh tells him that he doesn't think that Gabriel has powers, Gabriel snaps and discovers that he can take people's powers by killing them and cutting their brains open. From that point on, Gabriel becomes Sylar and seeks out as many people with abilities that he can find in order to steal their powers. In this way, Sylar believes that he can become truly special but only if he steals everyone's powers so he's the only one left.

Great Quotes of Sylar:

-Isaac Mendez: You're late.
Sylar: I guess you know why I'm here.
Isaac Mendez: You're the one who's gonna kill me.
Sylar: That's true. This is usually the part when people start screaming.


-"I wasn't begging for my life. I was offering you yours."

-Sylar: It's just... maybe I don't have to be special. That it's okay just to be a normal watchmaker. Can't you just tell me that's enough?
Virginia Grey [Mama Sylar]: Why would I tell you that when I know you could be so much more?
 
-"You're not hunting me, Noah. I'm hunting you."
 
-"You see me as a monster. And yet you did this to me. And before the night is over, I'm gonna prove to you one by one - that you're all monsters - exactly like me."

 
-"You helped to make me into what I am. I just wanted to return the favor."
 
-"When I was a kid... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. Oh, they weren't bad people, they were just... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son... became a watchmaker. It is so... futile. And I wanted to be... important."


-Mr. Bennet: You'll find your abilities won't work. Not here. You're not going anywhere, Gabriel.
Sylar: My name is Sylar.
Mr. Bennet: Now it is. Wasn't so long ago that you were Gabriel Gray. An insignificant watchmaker.
Sylar: I restored timepieces. You know why I was so good at it?
Mr. Bennet: No, why don't you tell me?
Sylar: Because I can see how things work. What makes them... tick.
Mr. Bennet: Lucky you. We're interested in how things work too. Everyone else we've... met has had only one ability. You've taken on several.
Sylar: Guess it's what makes me special.
Mr. Bennet: It's important to you, isn't it? Being special.
Sylar: It's important to everyone.
Mr. Bennet: I think you're insane. I think the infusion of so many alterations to your D.N.A. has corrupted your mind - all this power is degrading you.
Sylar: And yet, here I am, alive and well and as soon as I get out, I'm gonna collect one more ability from your daughter. Sweet, innocent...
Mr. Bennet: That's enough.
Sylar: ...Ripe, indestructible.

-"You see yourself as some sort of humanitarian, don't you? A do-gooder. A hero, kidnapping men and women who are different. Do they make you feel powerful? We're quite alike you know. You collect special people. So do I."
 
-"We're all at war with ourselves; that's what it means to be human. Trick is figuring out how to be on the winning side."
 
-Sylar: Haven't I killed you before?
Peter Petrelli: Didn't take.

-"I know you don't understand me. But I wanna tell you why I'm helping you. It's that delicious power... You see, when I get my ability back, I'm gonna kill you - and your sister. And then I'm gonna take it all. And if I don't get my ability back, it's not a total loss. Maya's learning quickly. She's a shiny new toy. And she's all mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment