11.25.2009

All-Time Awesome Lines From Comics - Pt. 11 - GIANT SIZE!


Well, as promised here is a Giant-Sized edition of All-Time Awesome Lines From Comics. I figure that I might as well make it up to you guys for the fact that since it's Thanksgiving I will probably not do much, or really any, posting to the blog this weekend. But who knows, cause I do have some ideas for posts and if I get bored of laying around doing nothing (which I never get sick of doing), I might end up cranking some things out. Alright, hit the jump for the last story arc by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday on Astonishing X-Men.



Astonishing X-Men Giant-Size #1 - Unstoppable

***SPOILERS FOR GIANT-SIZE ASTONISHING X-MEN***


The story picks up right after the last arc Torn, where the X-Men were able to free themselves and free Emma Frost from being mind-controlled by Cassandra Nova, but were immediately teleported onto a spaceship and taken to the alien world called the Breakworld. There is a prophecy on the Breakworld that Colossus will destroy their world by ripping the planet's core, and so the entire army of the Breakworld is hunting the X-Men and there is a Doomsday missile directed at the Earth which will destroy the Earth if the X-Men don't stop them (Egads, that's where I keep all my stuff!). Anyways, on their way into the atmosphere, the X-Men's ships are blown up and the team is seperated with Kitty Pryde and Colossus landing safely, while Wolverine and one of the X-Men's students Hisako (who's power is to form armor made up of energy) crash to the ground. Wolverine gets messed up pretty bad in the crash landing. Leading to this exchange:

Wolverine: You're not ready to see me, kid... That armor's pretty damn impressive. Hit the ground without a scratch. Can't say the same for my face. Another half-hour, I should have something resembling a nose, and then some tendons, then we move.

Hisako: I have a test on Wednesday. I'm not an X-Man, I shouldn't... I mean... I can't....I have a chemistry test.

Wolverine: You wanna cry on my bubbling skinless shoulder? You're in that suit because you're an X-Man cause I seen you fight and I want you on the team. But if I'm wrong, if you're just gonna freak out on a hostile alien planet and cost me time, lose the suit and die. We go worlds to save.

Hisako: "Armor" (as her codename)

Wolverine: "Armor" huh?

Hisako: Is it taken?

Wolverine: I don't think so. It'll work for a name. It's very direct - I'm thinking of calling myself "Claws"


The X-Men battle their way through the Breakworld and take out the Emperor of their world, but are now facing off against all of his forces. To make matters worse, the Doomsday missile was fired with Kitty Pryde trapped inside of it, but the problem is that it isn't a missile as much as a hollow chunk of metal fired directly at Earth (it is essentially a planet sized bullet, seen on the right). Colossus goes into the planet core (the core that only his metal skin can survive inside without a suit and only he can touch it directly hence why they think he'll destroy the world.) but is followed by the man who orchestrated the prophecy to set it in motion to destroy both Earth and the Breakworld. They face-off.

Colossus: The augurs predicted it. Because you told them to. Because they were always yours.

Aghenne: Dafi... she talks to much.

Colossus: No. You do. I have heard the speeches of men who sought to save the world. Twenty million of my countrymen are buried beneath those speeches.

Aghenne: I am not a dictator.

Colossus: Madness is not restricted to the powerful.

Now comes the hard part (for me anyway) and the last chance for anyone who did not already read the end of Astonishing X-Men by Whedon. I'm having a really hard time deciding between which of these two moments is better than the other, so I'll just mark them both as the best lines from this arc.

So the giant Bullet with Kitty Pryde trapped inside of it is hurtling towards the Earth on a collison path, but Kitty Pryde (whose mutant power is to phase through solid objects) can't phase through the metal from the Breakworld, so whatever the X-Men may do to destroy the bullet and prevent it from destroying the Earth would kill Kitty Pryde. Emma Frost telepathically contacts Kitty Pryde to try and put her at peace in this exchange.


After sending the biggest thing they have crashing into the bullet and it doesn't even make a dent in it, through a miracle of strength, Kitty Pryde is able to phase the entire planet-sized bullet through the Earh, saving all of humanity. The X-Men return home and they all begin coping with losing Kitty in their own ways, but Colossus is devastated, but thinks back on something that Kitty said to him on Breakworld, showing again that Joss Whedon was a masterful storyteller who just flat out got these characters:

Kitty: Everything is so fragile. There's so much conflict, so much pain... You keep waiting for the dust of your life to settle and then you realize this is it. The dust is your life going on. If happy comes along, that weird, unbearable delight that's actual happy- I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, because it's here and then... Gone.

Powerful stuff by Whedon. I'm such a huge fanboy of his admitably, but I don't think anyone can argue against the man's writing ability, especially when he writes such amazing characters. Go out and buy his run of Astonishing X-Men, and you will not be disappointed in it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment