11.13.2009

All-Time Awesome Lines From Comics - Pt. 7


Hey all, back with another installment of the best lines from comics of all-time. I spent a good portion of the day ranking my favorite films in order from 1 to 100 for that series of posts and drowning my sorrows at how terrible the Bears are. With that said, here's a great series of lines from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Hit the jump for the lines.




Sandman #4 - A Hope in Hell

Sandman followed Morpheus, the King of dreams and the dreamworld, and his life after humans had imprisoned him on our plane for a hundred years. After he freed himself, Morpheus got revenge on the people who had imprisoned him and then set about collecting his tools that were stolen and sold off to various monsters and mystical creatures while he was imprisoned. One of these items was sold to a demon in Hell, so in this issue Morpheus journeys to Hell in order to reclaim his helmet. He finds the demon that now possesses it, named Choronzon, but most defeat Choronzon in a contest of altering reality, where they take turns changing reality as a means of combating each other. Here's the contest:

Choronzon: I am a dire wolf, prey-stalking, lethal prowler.

Morpheus: I am a hunter, horse-mounted, wolf-stabbing.
Choronzon: I am a horsefly, horse-stinging, hunter-throwing.
Morpheus: I am a spider, fly-consuming, eight legged.
Choronzon: I am a snake, spider-devouring, poison-toothed.
Morpheus: I am an ox, snake-crushing, heavy footed.
Choronzon: I am an anthrax, butcher, bacterium, warm-life destroying.
Morpheus: I am a world, space-floating, life nurturing.
Choronzon: I am a nova, all-exploding… planet-cremating.
Morpheus: I am the Universe — all things encompassing, all life embracing.

Ending in this awesome interchange:
 


So Choronzon loses and Sandman gets his helmet back, but Lucifer is not too pleased that the demon lost and is not about to let Morpheus just walk right out:

Lucifer: Look around you Morpheus. The million lords of Hell stand arrayed about you. Tell us why we should let you leave? Helmet or no you have no power here. What power have dreams in Hell?

 
 
Morpheus: You say I have no power? Perhaps you speak truly, but you say DREAMS have no power here? Tell me Lucifer Morningstar. Ask Yourselves all of you. What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven.
 
 
 
And Morpheus walks right out with a sea of demons parting before he gets close to them. God what a fantastic comic book. I've included the picture of that too for dramatic effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment